THE LETDOWNS | Hyped Up Edition

Being the makeup junkie I am, I've tried countless (seriously, let's not count) products in search for the perfect lip/mascara/shadow/liner/insertotherbeautyproducthere. Now, naturally there are going to be more than a few duds in the lot, but more often than not, I am extra disappointed when I don't like a product that everyone else and their Mother seem to love. So let's just compile a list of some products that were really hyped up, that just didn't do it for me... This may get controversial... 






[1] CoverGirl Clump Crusher Mascara not only didn't do it for me, but quite frankly I thought it was awful! Even though it is a water resistent (notice not waterproof!) formula, I found this mascara to weight down any curl I attempted to put in my lashes. The formula was extremely wet and took forever to dry on my lashes as well, giving me that delightful panda eyed look. Gross.

[2] I was so excited to try out the new Make Up For Ever HD Blushes. With a great colour range, and a promise to stick around behind them I thought for sure this would finally be the cream blush that stays longer than an hour or two. Unfortunately not only did it not stay on even half the day, but it made my foundation separate and go patchy along with it!

[3] Stila Stay All Day Liquid Liner may be a controversial one here, since the world seems to think it is the best black liquid liner since the days of the Egyptians. I found it hard to control with the colour bleeding making it hard to get a crisp line. I also found the felt tip got soft and scraggly way too soon, making it just not worth the price.

[4] Ok, let's get super controversial now and talk about everyone's favourite setting powder, Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder. I picked up Dim Light, and while it set my makeup just fine, it made my skin feel dry and tight. I just didn't see what the fuss was all about. To me it's just a crazy expensive face powder; Mac Mineralize Skin Finish Natural does a superior job, adds a touch of coverage, never looks dry and comes in at $20 less.

[5] Another cult favourite that I just can't get to perform for me are MAC Blushes. Yep, just all of them in general. While I love the colour selection, the variety of finishes the availability, they just don't last on me! I load them on my cheeks only to have it be gone a few hours later. I won't even admit how many I own too, they just always let me down.

[6] Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars are certainly a hyped up cult favourite in the makeup world. They tout insane pigmentation and long wearing colour, but they dry my lips out like nothing else. Before you ask, yes I've tried with the Clear Lip Tar as a base/primer as instructed, but they still turn my lips into the Sahara.

[7] You may remember me mentioning this mascara in a post I did about a drugstore dupe that performed the way this had promised. Clinique High Impact Extreme Volume Mascara weighed the curl right out of my lashes and just made them a clumpy mess. After all that, it flaked all over the place, and was a b!tch to take off at the end of the day, even using waterproof mascara remover and warm water like Clinique suggests.

[8] As far as gel liners go, I hear all the time by beauty bloggers and YouTubers that the Maybelline Gel Eyeliner in Blackest Black rivals those from MAC, Bobbi Brown etc. A few years ago, I would have agreed with you, but I swear Maybelline has changed the formula on this, because it no longer stays deep matte black, but rather goes patchy and grey part the way through the day. If you want a stellar black cream liner that lasts all day, says matte and ultra black, reach for Urban Decay's newest offering.


What hyped up products have let you down? Let me know in the comments!