FLOPS | 5 Beauty Let Downs for May 2014



A little something new this month, I am adding in the addition of the products I tried and didn't like/found disappointing. I don't necessarily think of this as a negative thing, because not everything works for everyone, but I like to hear WHY certain products don't work for others, to help aid my shopping addiction choices. Here's a handful of products that just didn't cut the mustard when it came to their claims...






{1} Nars Contour Blush in Paloma was something I was really excited to try and really wanted to like. Unfortunately while I don't think it is a bad product, it just isn't worth its hefty $46 price tag. The contour colour went a little patchy on me, and the highlight didn't really do anything.
Try instead: Sleek's Contour Kits, which come in varying shades like the Nars offerings at less than a quarter of the price.

{2} You all know I love a good cream base when it comes to shadow, and when I saw the newly released Sephora Velvet Eyeshadows, I snatched up Pink Feather instantly. The colour is gorgeous, but the texture was grainy if not slightly gritty, and didn't sit nicely when I attempted to blend with any other powder or cream product.
Try instead: Make Up For Ever Aqua Creams - worth every penny and are bullet proof until you take them off.

{3} Speaking of the brand, the new Make Up For Ever Aqua Matic are crayon like chubby pencils that supposedly boast the staying power of the rest of their "Aqua" line. Not so. I got the golden taupe shade ME-50 and it went on slightly tacky and sticky, making it only possibly to pack shadow on top, and then creased by the end of the day. I really expected so much more from these.
Try instead: Sephora Jumbo Liner 12h Wear, there is a great shade selection, you get a bit of blending time and then they set all day long.

{4} Let's talk cult status shall we? Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer certainly has it, and after getting a generous sample I went out and bought it truly thinking it was worth the hype. That is until I realized that it could be the culprit for the ridiculous teenage like breakouts I was getting. Stopped using the primer, and bye bye horrible painful breakouts.
Try instead: Laura Mercier Primer Protect is a combo of the award winner primer the brand is known for with 30 SPF sunscreen, hitting two birds with one stone and leaving my skin soft and keeping the face paint on all day.

{5} Another new release this past month was the Dior Addict Fluid Stick. The brand boasts the shine of a gloss and the pigment of a lipstick, and let's face it, the packaging is down right pretty. I grabbed the shade Rieuse which is a corally watermelon type colour... or at least it starts that way. Like many lip products I've found over the years, the shades changes to that nasty mood lipstick-esque majenta pink within an hour of wear. Not the shade I bought it to be. Also I found that these leave a really uneven staining to the lips (you know the old ring around the mouth look)
Try instead: YSL Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stains - yes they are expensive but only a few dollars more than the Dior and live up to there claims whole heartedly. Favourites of mine are #27, #15 and #16.

There you have it - 5 products that just didn't work for me! If these work for you I am thrilled, because some of them are very pricey. Let me know if you have tried any of these, and what just didn't cut it for you this month in the comments below!